Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Grand opening

Greetings, Readers; I hope this missive finds you well. I have now been in this strange, alternate Reality for much more than a week, and I must say I am missing Sir Cecil, and the comforts of Home. It is odd to see how people in this Reality are busy trying to copy what those of us in the Real Reality take for granted; i.e., things such as real craftsmanship with proper materials such as brass and copper and leather, and a proper sense of adventure. Also, of course, lashings of noisy steam...still, they do their best, God Bless them.
 Last Saturday, I went along to the Grand Opening, where I watched all manner of people trying to recapture the romance of the Age of Steam. It was a splendid affair, and people were enjoying themselves very much. I just felt sorry that at the end of the night, they have to go home to their shoddy plastic and fickle electricity. How terrible to have to rely on such poor and ephemeral things. In my Reality, of course plastic has been invented, but it has been largely rejected as a building material because, well, it just doesn't look good enough.
On a somewhat different note, I fear that the slovenly speech patterns of this world have started to infect me. I've found myself reverting to some of the local slang phrases. Hence, do not be offended if you find me saying things like 'I'll catch ya later,' and 'How's it goin' Dude?' I'm just picking up the local vernacular; as they say, 'when in Rome...'
And on that note, I'll catch ya later, guys. Gotta go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment